Friday, August 31, 2007

Worst of Both Worlds

Dear You,

Ben brought his Nintendo when he came for a visit recently, and he wanted to trade a Pokemon character with someone. His device can connect wirelessly with others. A quick check with Google located a "hot spot" at the McDonalds just down the street, so off we went.

There we were yesterday -- Ben, with his french fries, thumbs a-blur on his toy, eagerly looking for someone on the planet with a like mind; and Grandpa, with a "senior" coffee, looking around at the others inhabiting this public place, thinking of very different subjects.

Let me be plain: we are faced with an epidemic of childhood obesity, and SAT scores yesterday were reported to be, once again . . . down. And I took my grandson to a place where he was mindlessly ingesting 380 empty calories (20 g. fat / 47 g. carbs) and "interacting" with symbols that represent people he will never really meet. Our bodies and our minds can enter many different worlds; some much better than others. For that hour, Ben and I were in what I know to be the wrong ones. I write with shame that my curiosity overcame my good sense. Today I'll do better with the time I have to spend with Ben.

No comments: