Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Budgeting

Dear You,

Over the years I've come to understand that we have only two things to spend: Time and Money. It is also clear to me that no one spends these things in the same way.

My mind goes back to a moment when I was standing in an electronics store with my then-wife (I'll call her M. here . . . and whenever she pops up in my musings). I was looking at a turntable, and when M. said, "But you don't need it" I answered, "I want it." The comeback was quick: "Well, that's it then." She understood the difference before I did. (I add, with a pang, that I was neither so wise nor generous, when some weeks later M. wanted to purchase some things for the house that we might both have enjoyed. Ahhh, hindsight.)

Time is the same way. Thoreau remarked, "As if you can kill Time without injuring Eternity." Smart guy, Henry D. If I spend time writing my thoughts in this blog instead of, say, re-reading "Walden," who is to say yes or no to that?

Whatever the commodity, the key is budgeting. One of these days the Money may run out. For certain, Time will.

1 comment:

duopastorale said...

I quoted you on my blog. Hope you don't mind.
http://thisido.blogspot.com/2007/07/i-have-been-blog-hopping.html