Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Bleak House

Dear You,

Why do you suppose that fictional representations of the future are so often bleak? As I continue my current read -- one of my "beach books," my term for light reading -- I keep thinking of other novels. This one is a thriller set a half-century hence, the murder victims getting their comeuppance because of their Frankenstein-like efforts to create beautiful and intelligent young women.

Why do so many writers imagine an Orwellian future in telling their stories? Were they influenced by Huxley's "Brave New World" of over-population and genetics experiments? Orwell's "1984" of perpetual war and Big Brother surveillance? The list is much longer than I want to note here, and that's not even touching recent as well as classic movies. Like millions of others recently, I got the seventh and last Harry Potter book, and I notice in the early chapters how different are the tone and characters and plot compared with those first installments. Harry has "grown up" and his future is grimmer than his past. So goes the world, apparently!

My only reference here comes from comparing my life with that of my father's -- child of the Great Depression and wounded veteran of World War II, struggling for so many years to achieve the American Dream . . . which I inherited and too often take for granted. I imagine the future to be better and better. Even so, it certainly is entertaining to visit a much darker world in my reading.

1 comment:

duopastorale said...

I guess that's why faith is important to so many. Struggles in this life can be balanced with the promise of heaven. The Bible certainly climaxes with the new heaven & earth where evrything is set right. I think we have that longing built into us. Mmm...