Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Headstones

Dear You,
I've been spending part of this morning on MapQuest, making maps for Memorial Day visits to cemeteries in Ohio. Years ago, the generation before me took to visiting Amanda, OH Dutch Hollow Cemetery (the Hartman side) and Lancaster, OH Forest Rose Cemetery (the Littrell side) to leave flowers and remember relatives.

Now most of them have joined their ancestors and those left are too old to travel much. Thanks to Cousin Mike, the weekend has become an annual Cousins Gathering. Mike, Paul, Marlin, David, Walt, and Suzie -- with "significant others" if any -- punctuate the day of visiting graves with lunch and catching up on each others' stories.

In late afternoon, we head off on our own. In my case, to Glen Rest, outside of Columbus, where my parents' graves and those of my grandparents and some aunts and uncles are buried.

This is a happy task, despite the occasional tear and speechless pause -- just another way to "Honor Thy Father and Mother." I wouldn't miss it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am about to buy a iPhone but it has a broken sleep button. Does anyone know how to fix that? Thanks!
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url]