Monday, September 24, 2007

Once more, sledding downhill

Dear You,

A key to most novels is discovering the effect of earlier events and decisions. Indulging her hypochondria, Zeena invites her pretty cousin Mattie to keep the house ... and husband Ethan comes to realize the awful truth of his loveless marriage. Crash. And isn't it interesting to ponder how many collisions you and I experience, the unforeseen consequencs of our youthful choices?

I thought of this last Saturday, when I picked up my three-month supply of various medications and signed the paper to pay $260. Nearly half of that is for the pill that keeps my arteries from becoming further clogged. Ninety tablets, $333.08 and the insurance pays $228.08 of it. I pay $105. At the time my thoughts divided: "Whew, I'm glad I don't have to pay the whole $928.91!" and "Yikes! $260 on the credit card!" and the second thought made me yearn for even better prescription medicine coverage.

Now, of course, I'm able to reflect further. And I know that my share (as well as that portion borne by ... whom? my neighbors, in some sense of the word) is the result of years of sloth (I loathe exercise) and greed (I love a triple bacon cheeseburger at the drive-thru). Way too late ... for Zeena, for me ... for you, too? ... comes reform. Zeena doesn't get her husband back (well, she does, but you'll have to read Ethan Frome to see how that works), and I can't take the stents from out my heart (Sorry, Poe). But I'm walking more often, and I haven't bought a burger in a year.

1 comment:

duopastorale said...

Ooh. That's tough. Thanks for the encouragement to walk a bit more, or a LOT more in my case. And also to resisit the temptation to take our NHS for granted.